Many Voices Working for the Community

Oak Ridge
Site Specific Advisory Board

4-c logo 100 pixels.JPG (11680 bytes)






Approved May 9, 2007 Meeting Minutes


The Oak Ridge Site Specific Advisory Board (ORSSAB) held its monthly meeting on Wednesday, May 9, 2007, at the DOE Information Center in Oak Ridge, beginning at 6 p.m. A video of the meeting was made and may be viewed by phoning the Information Center at 865-241-4780.


Members Present

Ben Adams - Secretary

Rhonda Bogard

Darryl Bonner

Donna Campbell

Heather Cothron

Steve Dixon

Hubert Gibson1

Ashlyn Hall1

Mike Haygood

Ted Lundy

Gloria Mei

Lance Mezga - Chair

Norman Mulvenon - Vice chair

Ron Murphree

Tim Myrick

Robert Olson

Sondra Sarten

Steve Stow

Jan Teague


Members Absent

Sandy Reagan

Kevin Westervelt


1Student Representative


Deputy Designated Federal Officer and Liaisons Present

Dave Adler, Liaison, Department of Energy – Oak Ridge Office (DOE-ORO)

Pat Halsey, Federal Coordinator, DOE-ORO

Connie Jones, Liaison, Environmental Protection Agency, (EPA) Region 4

John Owsley, Liaison, Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC)


Others Present

Jeff Crane, EPA

Becky Brunton, Spectrum

Spencer Gross, Spectrum

Pete Osborne, Spectrum


Thirteen members of the public were present.


This month’s meeting was an abbreviated one to allow time for a public meeting to follow on the FY 2006 Remediation Effectiveness Report/CERCLA Five-year Review (RER). The public meeting was in response to ORSSAB Recommendation 151 that the meeting for the RER be held at the same time and place as an ORSSAB meeting.


Deputy Designated Federal Officer and Liaison Comments

Dave Adler: Mr. Adler had no comments. Mr. Murphree asked about quarterly updates on the status of decontamination and decommissioning of K-25/K-27 at East Tennessee Technology Park. Mr. Adler said Jack Howard, DOE, would provide an update at the July Environmental Management Committee meeting.


Connie Jones: Ms. Jones deferred to Mr. Crane. He said the July presentation on Appendixes E and J of the Federal Facility Agreement would be a timely one because DOE, EPA, and TDEC are in formal dispute regarding milestones in those appendixes. He said a meeting was held on May 8 on the dispute and some progress was made toward resolution. He said the dispute will likely be elevated to the level of EPA regional administrator, the DOE site manager, and the deputy commissioner of TDEC.


John Owsley: Mr. Owsley said in addition to being in dispute with DOE on Federal Facility Agreement milestones, he said the TDEC is also in dispute with DOE on the Site Treatment Plan to work off the backlog of mixed transuranic waste. He said the question is over who has authority of the waste. He said both DOE and TDEC claim authority.


Mr. Bonner asked why the board was not aware of the dispute over the Site Treatment Plan. Mr. Adler said the dispute has been in place for about three years and is being held in abeyance while a similar dispute with the state of Washington is being resolved.


Public Comment



Announcements and Other Board Business

The next board meeting will be Wednesday, July 11, at 6 p.m. at the DOE Information Center. The main presentation topic will be “Federal Facility Agreement Appendixes E&J.” The June 13 meeting has been cancelled.


Mr. Adler introduced Ms. Hall and Mr. Gibson as the new student representatives to the board.


The minutes of the April 11, 2007 meeting were approved.


The Nominating Committee consisting of Ms. Bogard and Mr. Dixon was elected unanimously (Mr. Adams had volunteered but as a board officer the bylaws prevent him from serving on the committee).


Minutes of the Board Finance Committee and the Executive Committee meetings for April 26, 2007 were distributed (Attachments 1 and 2).


The response to Recommendation 154: Reaffirmation of DOE Secretarial Policy to Provide Stewardship at Ongoing Mission Sites with Residual Contamination was distributed (Attachment 3).


Ms. Brunton said she would be contacting members to gather information for the annual meeting on August 11.


Committee Reports

No reports this month.


Federal Coordinator Report

No report this month.


Additions to the Agenda





Mr. Myrick moved to approve the agenda. Mr. Stow seconded. The motion passed unanimously.



Mr. Myrick moved to elect the members of the Nominating Committee. Mr. Olson seconded and the motion passed unanimously.



Mr. Adams moved to approve the minutes of the April 11, 2007 meeting. Mr. Dixon seconded and the motion passed unanimously.


The meeting adjourned at 6:25 p.m.


Action Items


  1. Mr. McCracken will get information on a TRU waste stream that could be problematic for a non-defense TRU waste determination.
  2. Mr. McCracken will share with the board the results of discussions with regulators concerning setting of budget priorities.
  3. Mr. Adler will determine the current status of the Integrated Facilities Disposition Project.
  4. Mr. Adler will provide more detailed information of projects that will be impacted by budget constraints.
  5. Mr. Adler will determine the meaning of Areas 1000-4000 in Bethel Valley.
  6. Ms. Campbell will distribute a list of stewardship websites to board members and Stewardship Committee members.



  1. Staff will send the work plan for independent verification at East Tennessee Technology Park to Daniel Axelrod when it is available. The scope of work and project specific plan were sent to Mr. Axelrod on April 25, 2007.
  2. Mr. McCracken will share with the board program baseline summaries. FY 2009 Budget Guidance Request was provided in May board meeting packets (Reports and Memos section).


Attachments (3) to these minutes are available on request from ORSSAB support office.