Many Voices Working for the Community

Oak Ridge
Site Specific Advisory Board

4-c logo 100 pixels.JPG (11680 bytes)

 

 

 

 

 

Approved August 12, 2006 Meeting Minutes

 

The Oak Ridge Site Specific Advisory Board (ORSSAB) held its monthly meeting on Saturday, August 12, 2006 at Pollard Auditorium in Oak Ridge, Tenn., beginning at 4 p.m.

 

Members Present

Rhonda Bogard, Vice-chair

Darryl Bonner

Donna Campbell

Steve Dixon

Steve Douglas

Gloria Mei

Lance Mezga

Norman Mulvenon

Ron Murphree

Tim Myrick

Robert Olson

Sean Purdy1

Sandy Reagan, Secretary Sondra Sarten

Steve Stow

Kevin Westervelt

 

Members Absent

Ben Adams

Heather Cothron

Chris Grove2

Wade Johnson

Sarah Lewis1

Donnie Patterson

 

1Student Representative

2Third consecutive absence

 

Deputy Designated Federal Officer and Liaisons Present

Dave Adler, Liaison, Department of Energy – Oak Ridge Office (DOE-ORO)

Pat Halsey, Federal Coordinator, DOE-ORO

Steve McCracken, Deputy Designated Federal Officer, DOE-ORO Assistant Manager for Environmental Management

 

Others Present

Becky Brunton, Spectrum

Luther Gibson

Spencer Gross, Spectrum

Pete Osborne, Spectrum

 

Deputy Designated Federal Officer and Liaison Comments

Mr. Adler said characterization of Tank W-1A at Oak Ridge National Laboratory has been completed. He said remediation of the David Witherspoon site in South Knoxville is at the soil removal phase.

 

Mr. Adler reported on the status of three outstanding recommendations. He said the response to the Recommendations for Long-term Stewardship of Contaminated Areas on the Oak Ridge Reservation is still in the approval process.

 

He said work continues on the responses to the Recommendation to Support the Above Target FY 2008 Budget Request and the Recommendation on the Integrated Facilities Disposition Project.

 

Public Comment

None

 

Announcements and Other Board Business

The next Board meeting will be Wednesday, September 13 at 6 p.m. at the DOE Information Center. The meeting presentation will be proposed activities for the U-233 Project at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

 

The minutes of the July 12, 2006, meeting were approved.

 

Comments on the Fact Sheet for the Oak Ridge Environmental Information System were approved (Attachment 1).

 

The motion to recommend to DOE to remove Mr. Grove from the Board because of two consecutive absences failed. Under the ORSSAB Bylaws, Standing Rules, Section VI, the Board is required to vote if a recommendation should be made to DOE to remove a member who misses two consecutive Board meetings. The Board requested that DOE ask Mr. Grove if he intends to continue serving on the board, and if not, ask for his resignation.

 

Election of FY 2007 Officers – Mr. Mulvenon representing the Nominating Committee submitted a slate of candidates: Secretary, Steve Douglas; Vice-chair, Norman Mulvenon; Chair, Lance Mezga. Ms. Bogard asked for nominations from the floor. None were forthcoming. The slate of candidates was approved.

 

Decommissioning Process Workshop

Mr. Mezga asked if any members would be willing to attend a decommissioning process workshop (Attachment 2). Nine members indicated they would be interested in attending. Seven indicated they would prefer the training on a Saturday; two indicated they would prefer a weekday. Ms. Halsey said she would have to determine if DOE would be able to fund the tuition for members to attend such a workshop.

 

Federal Coordinator Report

None

 

Additions to the Agenda

No additions.

 

Motions

Mr. Adams and Mr. Patterson were absent for all votes.

 

8/12/06.1

Mr. Mezga moved to approve the agenda. Mr. Dixon seconded and the motion passed unanimously.

 

8/12/06.2

Mr. Mulvenon moved to approve the minutes of the July 12, 2006 meeting. Mr. Douglas seconded and the motion passed unanimously.

 

8/12/06.3

Mr. Myrick moved to approve the slate of officer candidates for FY 2007. Mr. Stow seconded and the motion passed unanimously.

 

8/12/06/4

Mr. Mulvenon moved to approve the comments on the Oak Ridge Environmental Information System. Mr. Bonner seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

 

8/12/06/.5

Mr. Dixon moved to recommend to DOE to remove Mr. Grove from the Board because of two consecutive absences. Mr. Douglas seconded. The motion failed 2 to 12 with one abstention. Mr. Dixon and Mr. Douglas voted for the motion. Ms. Bogard, Mr. Bonner, Ms. Campbell, Ms. Mei, Mr. Mezga, Mr. Mulvenon, Mr. Murphree, Mr. Myrick, Mr. Olson, Ms. Reagan, Ms. Sarten, and Mr. Westervelt voted against. Mr. Stow abstained.

 

The meeting adjourned at 4:16 p.m.

 

Action Items

  1. Ralph Skinner will work with the Board to address Daniel Axelrod’s suggestion for additional slides in the Stewardship Education Resource Kit. Carryover item. Status.  Stewardship Education Subcommittee decided not to address Mr. Axelrod’s comments at this time, but a review of his comments will be put on the subcommittee’s FY 2007 work plan.
  2. Ms. Halsey will contact Mr. Grove to determine if he intends to continue serving on the Board.
  3. Ms. Halsey will determine if DOE can fund member attendance to a decommissioning process workshop.

  

Attachments (2) to these minutes are available on request from the ORSSAB support office.