Many Voices Working for the Community

Oak Ridge
Site Specific Advisory Board

4-c logo 100 pixels.JPG (11680 bytes)


 

Approved July 10, 2002, Meeting Minutes

The Oak Ridge Site Specific Advisory Board (ORSSAB) held its regularly scheduled monthly meeting on Wednesday, July 10, 2002, at the DOE Information Center in Oak Ridge, beginning at 6:00 p.m. A video tape recording of the meeting was made and may be viewed by calling the SSAB support office at 865-241-3665.

Members Present

Ben Adams
Jake Alexander
Dick Berry
Jeanne Bonner
Donna Campbell
Jenna Carignan1
Heather Cothron
Amy DeMint
Luther Gibson, Jr., Chair
Pat Hill
John Kennerly
Steve Kopp
Bob McLeod
John Million
David Mosby, Vice Chair
Norman Mulvenon
Luis Revilla
George Rimel
Charles Washington

1Student representative

Members Absent

Kerry Trammell

Deputy Designated Federal Official and Ex-Officios Present

Gerald Boyd, DOE-Oak Ridge Offices (DOE-ORO), Deputy Designated Federal Official
Pat Halsey, DOE-ORO
John
Owsley, Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation 

Others Present

Sheree Black, Bechtel Jacobs Company LLC
Marianne Heiskell, DOE-ORO
Michael Holland, DOE-ORO
Pete Osborne, Bechtel Jacobs Company LLC
Pat Parr,
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL)

Four members of the public attended the meeting. 

Presentation

Ms. Pat Parr, Project Leader for the Oak Ridge Reservation Land Use Planning Process, gave a presentation on the process and distributed copies of the Land Use Planning Process newsletter. Copies of the draft Land Use Technical Report are available at the DOE Information Center. Additional information on the project may be found on the internet at www.landuseplanning.ornl.gov.

The purpose of the Land Use Planning Process is to develop a set of possible land use scenarios for portions of the Oak Ridge Reservation that may no longer be needed for DOE missions in the future. The process began with identifying DOE’s needs in the near and long terms. This analysis showed that a federal mission exists for most areas of the reservation. The vicinity around the East Tennessee Technology Park (ETTP) is the main area with few possible future federal missions. A focus group was formed to facilitate development of the scenarios, and public input is solicited through public meetings, mailings, and presentations.

After the presentation, the following questions were asked by members of the Board, and the following responses were given by Ms. Parr.

 

Question

 

Response (abridged)

 

Mr. Washington: Your maps refer to “green space;” what do you mean by that?

 

These areas have some environmental feature that would be worthy of protection, such as rare plants or animals, or they could be large forest areas reserved for conservation purposes. They also provide a foundation for environmental research.

 

Mr. Kopp: Does the term “research area” refer only to areas with buildings?

 

No, it includes outdoor research areas without buildings as well as an outdoor laboratory.

 

Mr. Kopp: How were the members of the focus group selected?

 

Ms. Heiskell responded that former DOE-ORO Manager Leah Dever had asked several members of the community to recommend stakeholders to sit on the group in an effort to achieve a balance of business, environmental, and general public interests.

 

Mr. Washington: Are there minority members on the group?

 

Yes, Dave Mosby is a member.

 

Mr. McLeod: Do you feel any one of the four scenarios is more practical to develop?

 

All four are strong possibilities.

 

Mr. Alexander: How does this effort relate to the Common Ground process that was done some years ago?

 

Ms. Heiskell responded that DOE looked at the Common Ground process and chose to try to get a more consistent set of citizens to participate in the land-use planning process. Common Ground used a more “broad brush” approach to stakeholder involvement.

 

Ms. Hill: How will reindustrialization of ETTP affect land-use planning scenarios? If ETTP is eventually closed, will you have to redo the land-use planning?

 

Ms. Heiskell responded that DOE has considered this possibility in its closure plan for ETTP.

Deputy Designated Federal Official and Ex-Officio Comments

Mr. Boyd introduced new ORSSAB members Dick Berry of Lenoir City and Ben Adams of Oak Ridge.

Mr. Boyd made three announcements:

         A public meeting was held on June 25 to update stakeholders on the Performance Management Plan (PMP). The D3 version of the PMP was made available to the public on June 28, and comments have been received from two individuals, the City of Oak Ridge, the Citizens Advisory Panel of the Local Oversight Committee, and the East Tennessee Environmental Business Association. These comments are being reviewed for incorporation into the document, which is due to DOE Headquarters on July 15. Efforts will be made to resolve substantive comments received by July 15 and include them into the final PMP, scheduled for presentation to the Office of Management and Budget on August 1. A life cycle baseline public meeting is being planned for the first full week of August to update stakeholders on how the baseline will change per accelerated cleanup plans.

         Myrna Redfield has requested a year’s leave for personal reasons. David Adler will be the acting DOE project manager for the Federal Facility Agreement until her position can be filled.

         A release of strontium-90 occurred recently at ORNL during a routine maintenance action to change out HEPA filters. Initial activities performed have allowed the reopening of parking lots that were closed following the release. Additional studies will be performed to ensure that DOE has fully addressed any additional necessary environmental actions.

Ms. Halsey made three announcements:

         Connie Jones is on vacation this week, and her replacement, Martha Berry, was unable to attend this evening’s meeting because of illness.

         Peery Shaffer has resigned from the Board. He has missed several of this year’s meetings because of his work in the Paducah area, and he expressed regret that he is no longer able to play an active role in the SSAB.

         Maurie Douglas, the Board’s student representative from Karn’s high school, has determined that a schedule conflict with the Wednesday evening Board meeting cannot be resolved. DOE is seeking to contact the principal at the high school to determine if they wish to fill this position with another student.

Public Comment

Mr. Bob Peelle, a former ORSSAB member, urged the Board to move quickly in commenting on the accelerated cleanup plans for the Oak Ridge Reservation by examining the process it uses for creating and approving recommendations and comments.

Announcements and Other Board Business

The next ORSSAB meeting will be the Board’s annual retreat and meeting, to be held at Rothchild Catering, 8807 Kingston Pike, Knoxville

Minutes of the June 12, 2002, Board meeting were approved without change.

The Board approved comments on the Oak Ridge Performance Management Plan (Attachment 1).

Ms. Cothron, Mr. Million, Mr. Mosby, Mr. Gibson, and Mr. Mulvenon gave reports on recent meetings of the Environmental Restoration, Stewardship, Waste Management, Executive, and Board Process committees, respectively. Ms. Hill described her trip to the AT.E.N. Health and Environment Forum@ in Nashville on July 1-2. Mr. Osborne reported on public outreach.

Mr. Kopp announced the nominating committee’s proposed slate of ORSSAB officers for FY 2003: for Chair, Dave Mosby; for Vice Chair, Norman Mulvenon; and for Secretary, Donna Campbell. An election for FY 2003 officers will be held at the August 3 annual Board meeting.

The meeting adjourned at 8:05 p.m.

Motions

M7/10/02.1

Mr. Mosby moved to approve the minutes of the June 12, 2002, Board meeting. Mr. Mulvenon seconded the motion, and the motion was approved by a vote of 15 in favor, one abstention (Mr. Adams). Ms. Bonner and Mr. Kennerly were absent for the vote.

M7/10/02.2

Ms. Cothron moved to approve comments on the Oak Ridge Performance Management Plan. Mr. Washington seconded the motion, and the motion was unanimously approved. Ms. Bonner was absent for the vote.

Respectfully submitted,

Luther V. Gibson, Jr., Acting Secretary

LVG/plo

Attachments (1) to these minutes are available upon request from the ORSSAB support office.

Action Items

1.     Staff will add more information about public outreach presentations in the ORSSAB meeting minutes. Ongoing

2.    Ms. Halsey will keep the Board abreast of historic preservation issues and meetings related to K-25 Building. Ongoing

SSAB Home List of Meeting Minutes